Friday, June 20, 2014

Summer Beach Towel Roll

My husband has some slightly crazy luck. He recently managed to trade an old dune buggy he had that he hadn't touched since he got it for... A BOAT. It needed some work and still needs a bit, but we are extremely close to having it water-worthy! So I've been thinking about needing a way to carry around sunscreen. See, we have our adult sunscreen and bug spray and my Neutrogena face sunblock and baby sunblock. It can be a little difficult to remember it all when we're spending a day outside. So, I wanted a way to store it all and just grab it and go... I thought a Beach Towel Roll would be perfect, so I started Googling. I couldn't find anything! So I had to wing it.

1. Fold your beach towel in half, because really it's way longer than you'll need. Sew around all four edges.

2. Fold the bottom edge up to make your pockets as tall as you need. I used my biggest bottle of sunblock to decide how big to make them.

3. Using the sunblock again, decide how wide to make your pockets and pin them. Then sew a straight line up the towel the height of your pockets. I did four pockets and left a small space on each side (I sewed a line along the edges too, even though there weren't going to be pockets there).

4. Once you've sewn your pockets in, you just fold up your roll (yea, it kind of ends up being more of a fold than a roll - like I said, I was winging it) and decide where to sew on your ribbons to tie it closed. I also added a handle. I folded my towel over to close in the pockets, and then folded the top down. It was folded into quarters when I was done. I pinned the ribbons (including one on top to of the longer ones to make a handle) in the center of the top edge once it was all folded.

5. Open your towel back up, making sure you didn't pin through too many layers, and sew your ribbons in place!

6. Your sunblock bag is done! Insert your sunblocks and bug sprays (and anything else that will fit in the pockets, really) and fold the towel up, and tie your ribbons! Now you can just grab this tote and you've got all the sunblock you need for a day at the lake, pool, or beach!




-ANG

No comments:

Post a Comment